How can I donate to C.A.R.E?

C.A.R.E. is a 501(c)(3) all-volunteer organization with no paid positions.

All donations to C.A.R.E. are tax deductible. C.A.R.E. relies on charitable contributions to finance operating costs, including veterinary bills and medications, as well as to finance longer-term capital costs and projects.

Your tax-deductible donation will help to provide important medical care, allow us to purchase high quality and prescription foods for the cats and dogs and will further our mission to find homes for abandoned pets.

Donors are listed in our PawPrints newsletter.

Click here to find out how to donate and make bequests.

Can I volunteer with C.A.R.E? What do volunteers do?

Volunteers are the heart and soul of C.A.R.E. and provide our full range of services, including animal care, fostering animals, conducting adoptions, providing humane education, participating in community outreach and fundraising.

For information on current opportunities, please check our Volunteering page.


Our organization strives to have successful adoptions that are ideal for both the pet and the adopter. Because the variety of animals in our care is constantly changing, the best way to find out about our selection is to work with Adoption Counselor. C.A.R.E. is a foster based organization and of our animals are in loving foster homes while they await adoption. Potential adopters meet our animals in foster homes or at adoption events.

Follow this link to read more about our adoption process. Follow these links to see some of our Cats for Adoption or Dogs for Adoption.

How can I find low cost veterinary care?

C.A.R.E. does not provide veterinary care for non-C.A.R.E. animals. However, there are great resources in the Chicago area for low cost and affordable Spay/Neuter and Vaccinations. Follow this link to our Directory of Low Cost Spay/Neuter information or Financial Resources for Pet Owners.

I need to find a home for my pet, will you take it?

C.A.R.E. is a private organization and we operate out of volunteer foster homes. Our ability to take in owner-surrender pets is limited, however feel free to contact us with information and we can see if we have foster placement available. Prior to accepting any animal, C.A.R.E. representatives will evaluate each animal on a case-by-case basis. Please leave a message on our voicemail at 847-705-2653.

If your pet was adopted from C.A.R.E.:

If you are no longer able to care for the dog or cat you adopted from C.A.R.E. — please contact C.A.R.E. We will welcome the pet back and will continue to care for it as before. Please call and leave a message at 847–705–2653; identify yourself as a past adopter so we can help you immediately. We are no longer located at the Evanston Shelter, so please contact us directly.

Other Resources:

Evanston Animal Shelter: 847-866-5082 or

For more resources, please follow this link to other Chicago Area Animal Shelters. Chicago Animal Care and Control is the only open-admission shelter in the area that will take in any animal. 

I have found a stray, what should I do?

It is best to turn the pet in to the animal control agency that covers your geographic area. This makes it easier for the owner to locate their lost pet, rather than having to call the dozens of agencies and rescue groups in the Chicago area.

If you have found a stray in Evanston, call the Evanston Animal Shelter - 847-866-5082 or 311 or

If you have found a stray in Chicago, call Chicago Animal Care and Control - 312-747-1406 or call 311 to see if you can take the animal to the nearest Police precinct. This will get the animal to Chicago Animal Care and Control where it can be located by the owner.

If you live in another municipality, please call your local police department or animal control department.

I have found injured or abandoned wildlife, what should I do?

C.A.R.E. does not have a license to work with wildlife, so we do not accept wild animals. Please refer to this page for basic information.

To find a licensed wildlife rehabilitator in your area, click here

If you need the services of a wildlife rehabilitator in the Chicago area, visit Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation at 847-842-8000 or Willowbrook Wildlife Center at 630-942-6200.

How is C.A.R.E. licensed?

C.A.R.E. is licensed by the State of Illinois Department of Agriculture (License 14383).

How to contact C.A.R.E.

CALL OUR VOICEMAIL AT 847-705-2653 - Please leave a detailed message so we can have the appropriate volunteer return your call and repeat your phone number twice.

C.A.R.E. is a foster based organization. All of our animals are in loving foster homes while they await adoption. We do not have a shelter building at this time, but are hoping to have one soon!